• Newsletters
  • Webinars
  • Podcast
  • Reports
  • About
    • Advertising
    • Contact us
    • Team
    • Contributors
  • News
  • Frontline
    • Prevention
    • Resilience
    • Response
    • Recovery
    • Learning
  • Leadership
    • Strategy
    • Government
    • Culture
    • Communication
  • People and skills
    • People moves
    • Training
    • Apprenticeships
    • Diversity and inclusion
    • Mental health and wellbeing
    • Life stages
  • Products
    • PPE
    • Vehicles
    • Medical
    • Training
    • Operational
    • Technology
  • Sustainability
    • Infrastructure
    • Transport
    • Built environment
    • Net zero
    • Climate change
  • Technology
    • Command and control
    • Data
    • Hardware
    • Software and apps
    • Digital transformation
    • Mapping and navigation
X (Twitter) LinkedIn Instagram
  • Newsletters
  • Webinars
  • Podcast
  • Reports
  • About
    • Advertising
    • Contact us
    • Team
    • Contributors
LinkedIn Instagram
Emergency Services Times
  • News
  • Frontline
  • Leadership
  • People and skills
  • Products
  • Sustainability
  • Technology
Emergency Services Times
Home > Leadership > Government confirms Grenfell Tower to be ‘carefully taken down’
Leadership 10 February 2025

Government confirms Grenfell Tower to be ‘carefully taken down’

James Devonshire10 February 2025Updated:10 February 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
The charred remains after the tragic fire at the Grenfell Tower, west London. Photo credit: Used under the CC BY 2.0 Attribution 2.0 Generic license.
The charred remains after the tragic fire at the Grenfell Tower, west London. Photo credit: Used under the CC BY 2.0 Attribution 2.0 Generic license.

The government has announced that Grenfell Tower will be carefully taken down to the ground.

Survivors of the tragedy — in which 72 people lost their lives — and residents in the immediate community were informed of the decision both in person at a meeting last week and via post by Deputy Prime Minister Angela Rayner.

Recognising that for some, Grenfell Tower remains a symbol of all that they lost, the government last month said it was considering the views of all those affected by the tragedy as part of its decision-making process ahead of reaching a conclusion on the fate of the tower.

However, the final decision to effectively raise Grenfell Tower to the ground has been met with dismay and anger by some of those affected by the fire.

Indeed, speaking at the meeting with the Deputy Prime Minister last week, a spokesperson for Grenfell United, which comprises survivors and bereaved families from the Grenfell Tower fire, said the government’s decision was “disgraceful and unforgivable.”

The spokesperson added that nobody at the meeting supported the government’s decision.

“Today’s meeting showed just how upset bereaved and survivors are about not having their views heard or considered in this decision.

“Ignoring the voices of bereaved on the future of our loved ones’ gravesite is disgraceful and unforgivable.”

Grenfell United spokesperson.

The Grenfell Tower site is a polarising symbol among those who were impacted by the fire there in June 2017, with some saying its presence helps to ensure the tragedy is never forgotten and others saying it acts as a painful reminder of what happened.

Before reaching its decision on Friday, the government said it had consulted independent experts on the tower’s stability. And even with the measures put in place to shore it up, including the installation of additional props, the site’s condition will inevitably deteriorate over time.

The next step is for the government to confirm the specialist contractor that will take the tower down, before work starts on its careful dismantlement, which is expected to take around two years.

Certain elements of the tower that can be removed and retained could form part of any future memorial, if the community wishes, according to the government.


To read similar articles, check out our Leadership channel

Fire Frontline Grenfell Grenfell Tower fire
Share. LinkedIn Twitter Facebook Email
James Devonshire, News Editor of the Emergency Services Times

James Devonshire

  • View LinkedIn profile

James is the News Editor at Emergency Services Times. He is primarily responsible for looking after the Daily Digest and keeping the website fresh with the latest blue light sector stories.

All articles by James >

Stay informed

Sign up for our weekly newsletter with news, views and more.

Published by
Ninteen
Quick links
  • Privacy Policy
  • Cookie policy
  • About
  • Back issues
  • Contributors
  • Contact
In assocation with
The Emergency Services Show
The Emergency Tech Show
Certifications
The Emergency Tech Show
LinkedIn Instagram
  • Privacy Policy
  • Cookie policy
  • About
  • Back issues
  • Contributors
  • Contact
© 2026 Emergency Services Times.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

Login